Skip to Content

FAQ: Recovering Damages After Suffering a Personal Injury

an injured man giving a handshake

The time after an accident is always challenging. You are likely dealing with extensive medical bills, lost wages, along with physical and mental anguish. If you were injured because of another person’s carelessness, you might be wondering what you can do to get compensation.

To help you, our Rockford personal injury attorneys answer some of the most common questions asked about getting compensation after suffering injuries in an accident.

What should I do after an accident?

If you suffered an injury in an accident, the first thing you should do is get medical attention. If you have the opportunity to do so, you should take photos and videos of the area where the accident took place. You should also get the information of witnesses in case you need it for your personal injury claim.

How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

Personal injury cases help those injured get the compensation they deserve after another person or party acted negligently. You would need to prove that the negligent person(s) were responsible for your injuries and should therefore compensate you. The best way to determine if you have a case is by contacting an experienced personal injury attorney. Our team at Reno & Zahm LLP can analyze your case and help you determine if you have a valid claim.

How long do I have to file a personal injury case?

How long you have to file a claim will depend on the statute of limitations. In Illinois, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit in the state’s civil court system. Since personal injury cases often require extensive investigations and compensation calculations, you should get your case started as soon as possible.

Will my personal injury case go to trial?

Most personal injury cases don’t go to trial and are settled outside the courtroom. However, a personal injury case may go to trial if there are facts to dispute or when there is a contested legal issue. Since it’s difficult to determine which way your case will go, it is important to obtain strong legal representation who can effectively handle your case in the courtroom.

How much is my personal case worth?

The value of your claim includes your economic damages like costs for medical treatment, lost wages, paying for the help you need around the home, physical therapy, etc. You should speak with an experienced attorney to determine how much your case is actually worth.

What can I recover from my personal injury case?

You can get compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are “tangible losses”, such as medical bills, lost income, and earning capacity. Non-economic damages are “intangible losses,” such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and lost enjoyment of life.

How long will it take to settle my claim?

It is difficult to forecast how long it will take to reach a settlement for personal injury since every case is different. However, a claim that involves substantial or catastrophic injuries will likely take longer to settle. An attorney can give you a more clear estimate of how long your case might take to settle.

How do I pay my medical bills until I get my settlement?

Since you won’t receive monetary compensation until your case is settled, you will need to cover expenses initially. However, you should speak to your attorney to determine your options.

Do I need a personal injury attorney?

Personal injury cases are complex and require extensive legal insight and investigations. For such reasons, it is vital that you have an experienced attorney on your side. Our team at Reno & Zahm LLP has helped those injured throughout Rockford. We have the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to help you get the compensation you deserve.

Contact us today at (815) 987-4050 to schedule a consultation!

The blog published by Reno & Zahm LLP is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.