What should you do if you are injured in a car accident and need surgery? The first thing you should do is call a personal injury lawyer. Car accident victims who require surgery often have to deal with insurance companies. These companies will try to get you to settle for a lower amount than you deserve. Our Rockford personal injury lawyers discuss what to do if you need surgery after a car accident and the importance of having a personal injury lawyer on your side.
What to Take If a Car Accident Results in Surgery
If a negligent driver caused an accident that hurt you, you should not have to pay. But recovering financial compensation can be a complicated process without the help of an experienced car accident lawyer protecting your rights and advocating for your best interests.
The physical and financial impact
Common types of surgery that people need after a car accident include:
- Orthopedic surgery to stabilize broken bones.
- Back surgery (such as spinal fusion or vertebroplasty).
- Brain surgery (to stop bleeding or repair a skull fracture).
- Surgery to repair damaged internal organs.
- Soft tissue surgery on torn muscles, ligaments, or tendons.
- Cosmetic surgery to repair scarring or other disfigurements.
Other medical expenses can also be incurred as a result of surgery. The costs of ambulance services, imaging tests such as MRIs and CT scans, other diagnostic tests, hospitalization after surgery, medication, physical therapy, wheelchairs, home health care, and follow-up doctor visits are among them. Additionally, car accident victims often require ongoing medical care, physical therapy, and rehabilitation. This can add up to thousands of dollars in medical bills. Lost wages from being unable to work also add to the financial burden.
How A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Your car accident lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company to try and reach a fair settlement for your medical expenses, including surgery. Often, the insurance company may try to lowball your settlement offer or deny your claim altogether. Time is of the essence in car accident cases, so it is vital to have a personal injury lawyer on your side as soon as possible. A lawyer will:
- Gather evidence to prove the other driver's negligence.
- Gather medical records, bills, and documentation of lost wages to support your claim for damages.
- Calculate your damages, including current and future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Help you negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. They can file a lawsuit on your behalf if a settlement cannot be reached.
- Navigate the complex car insurance laws in Illinois to protect your rights.
These steps will significantly strengthen your case and increase the likelihood of a successful outcome. Furthermore, knowing you have support during turbulent times will provide you with peace of mind as you focus on recovering from your car accident injuries.
Get In Touch With Reno & Zahm LLP
Don't try to go up against the insurance company on your own. Work with a car accident lawyer who can fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a car accident and need surgery, do not hesitate to contact our seasoned car accident lawyers by calling 7792359115 or through our online contact form. We offer consultations and work on a contingency fee basis, so you have no upfront costs. Let us fight for the compensation you deserve.
Call (779) 235-9115 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your consultation.
The blog published by Reno & Zahm LLP is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.